4 Things No One Tells You About Going Bald

 

I cut off 5 years of growth

One thing about me, I AM HERE FOR CHANGE. That is, change by choice. This, coupled with my stubborn Capricorn ways (because once we make a decision, that's it, it's done), was all the courage I needed to have all of my beautiful afro hair shaven off. 

I went completely bald and it was an epic experience and there were definitely things I never realised would happen to me!

1. Overly Sensitive Scalp

I got off the barber's chair and stood in the mirror for a good couple of minutes. I was in disbelief but super excited. 
One of the first things I noticed was the breeze over my head. It felt like it was there permanently like I had my own personal fan following me around like the snow cloud did Olaf in Frozen!
When I sat down and put my head back on my mother's velour couches, I almost died hahaha...it was the weirdest feeling against my head. 
I FELT EVERY SINGLE THING that touched my head. 

2. Headaches are a thing

It wasn't long until I started experiencing a slight but constant headache. Nothing majorly unpleasant but definitely something to note. I am certain it was the sensitivity that caused it, so I "treated" my headaches by sleeping or chilling with a beanie on whenever it became too much. This helped...a lot. 

3. Your hair influences your style

Now, this may be personal preference, but it's worth the mention. I noticed my clothing style change and certain items of clothing not looking quite right without my afro. 
I never really considered that my afro was an accessory when I got dressed. Just before the lockdown, I purchased a beautiful flowy white dress from the popular plus-size fashion house, Lee-Bex. When it first arrived, I still had my afro and it fit me perfectly. I couldn't wait to wear it out someplace...
Low and behold, when the opportunity came, I was bald and it just did not quite look the same. 
So, it's hanging in my closet until eventually, I have my fro back. 

My style definitely became edgier and I am not complaining. 

4. It's addictive!

I have heard many people say that when you first get a tattoo, you want to do it over and over again. Well, it's the same for going bald. You want to do it over and over again. 
I struggle with wanting to sit in the chair again, every time I take my boy to the barber. So, good luck!

When going natural many people will advise you to do a big chop. And a big chop doesn't necessarily look like the -1 cut I did, so don't be alarmed. 


If you are however considering a completely bald look for a while...don't say no one told you!



Comments

  1. This is so awesome ❤️ and I love the honesty. Thanks Mel for taking the world on your journey 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zenna!!!!!!!!! Thank you for constantly supporting me!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading this. I could especially relate to the "cold breeze" over the head bit, but I can't say I ever experienced headaches. It really is addictive & I found that I want to experiment with my style in general after shaving my head. I don't think I'll ever fully grow my hair back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I dont think i will have my full grown afro back either, i am seriously considering rather investing in a wig or 2 haha

      Delete

Post a Comment